Thursday, June 30, 2011

I HATE Nitrocellulose Lacquer

Compared to water-based lacquer, Nitro SUCKS!!! It takes way too long to cure and it never has the same hardness as water-based lacquer. I'm using nitro on a guitar right now and I swear, I'll never use it again. Here's a close up of the surface:


Even after a month, this stuff still is so soft anything that touches it leave an imprint. I spoke with several manufactures, and they basically said that nitro lacquer can take up to a year to fully harden.  The big guitar companies have either abandoned nitro lacquer or they use a special formulation that is cured using UV lights. I'll use Target Coatings water-based from now on. Screw nitro!

2 comments:

  1. man, im staying well away from this stuff!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pretty good post. I just stumbled upon your blog and wanted to say that I have really

    enjoyed reading your blog posts.

    nitrocellulose

    ReplyDelete