Thursday, November 15, 2012

From today's photo shoot...

...number 22 tuned-up and ready to sell. This one will be up on eBay November 20, for 7 days. Price will be $650US. Shipping in the US only.

Wednesday, November 14, 2012

Envirocaster #22 Is DONE!!

And I'm spent! This one had a few challenges. First a cracked neck. Then, the new neck sat too low in the body necessitating a recessed bridge. All in all, it was a lot of work, but man did it turn out nice. I'll be sad to part with this one. Check it out:

Everything about this one is low-profile.

I had to hand chisel the recess for the bridge.

Monday, November 12, 2012

What Every Luthier Loves To See...

...another finished guitar on its way to a new owner!

This one is headed to New Hampshire
If it is close to the door, it's almost done!

Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Tuesday Morning Guitar Porn

Here are two reasons I love building guitars:

Both have three coats of clear Target Coatings EM6000 gloss water-based lacquer. Many more to go.

Sunday, October 21, 2012

#25 and #26 Are Getting Close...

Guitar #25 has 15 coats of Tru-Oil and is ready for final assembly.

Guitar #26 has about 8 coats of Tru-Oil, which is a little more than halfway done.

Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Today's Guitar Building Progress...

...has been slow and tedious. Right now, I am focused on touching up the finish. Patience is the key!

Both of these guitars are about to be treated to numerous coats of Tru-Oil.

This one is done and hanging up to fully dry.

Thursday, October 11, 2012

Current Guitar Builds

I have 5 guitars currently in the works. The plan is to have them ready for the Christmas shopping season. Check 'em out:

#22 has been level sanded and is ready for polishing.

#23 has been level sanded and is ready for polishing.

#24 is ready for stain.

#25 has two coats of Tru-Oil and is ready for more.

#26 has been stained and is ready for Tru-Oil.

Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Carving Up A Walnut Guitar Body

For my Walnut body, I decided to add a nice carve to the top edge. I used a half round Japanese Iwasaki file to do all of the work. It took about 30 minutes and a lot of elbow grease.

Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Routing Three Envirocaster Bodies

Yesterday I cut out three Envirocaster bodies. Today I routed pockets and drilled the bridge and neck mounting holes. I should have taken a photo of all the wood chips and dust I generated!

The body in the center is American Walnut while the other two are Alder with Maple caps.

Now comes the fun part: sanding and finishing.

Sunday, October 7, 2012

Making Single Coil Bobbins

Today I made a set of single coil bobbins for one of my Envirocaster guitars, which is currently under construction. Check out the progress: