Thursday, October 4, 2012

Fixing Sand Through

While level sanding the water-based lacquer on one of my guitar builds, I accidentally sanded through to the wood on one of the sharp edges. Here is how I fixed it:

Even with a light touch and 800 grit sand paper, I still managed to sand through to the wood on this sharp edge.

No problem. I just wiped on some of the paint I had left over from spraying the back. It took about three coats to cover the damage.

Next, I used a q-tip to apply some clear water-based lacquer. Four thick coats were applied about thirty minutes apart.

After the last coat of lacquer had dried, I lightly sanded the area with 800 grit to blend. Now I can proceed with wet sanding the whole body. Hopefully, I won't have to deal with any additional sand through before I buff. If I do, I'll repeat the process.

No comments:

Post a Comment