Thursday, April 28, 2011

How To Make A Custom Pickguard

For the Highline Prodigy, I decided to add a custom, black pickguard. The following photos show how I did it.
First I covered the body with artist masking film.
Then, I drew the outline of my pickguard shape.
I had to be very attentive to the position of the bridge

Next, I transfered the masking film to my pickguard blank.

I used a jig saw to cut the shape. To play it safe, I guided
the blade along the outside of the lines I drew.

I used a fine tooth blade to make the edge as smooth
as possible.

The pickup holes were made by drilling a 3/4"
diameter hole in each corner with a forstner bit.

I'll leave the masking film in place to protect the pickguard
from scratches during the rest of the building process.

No comments:

Post a Comment