After I'd glued together a two piece, 1-5/8" thick blank, I realized the body was going to weigh in at close to 8lbs! Therefore, I made the decision to hollow out the body. The following photographs show my progress so far.
|From the back of the body, I drilled out a cavity, which|
surrounds a central core where the neck, pickups and
bridge will be mounted.
|Next, I sliced off two 1/4" thick sheets from some scrap|
and glued them together to form a bookmatched back.
|Then, I glued the bookmatched sheet to the body.|
|After the glue had dried a few hours, I trimmed away the |
excess with my bandsaw. The next step, will be to
sand the sides nice and smooth.